As an amandla.mobi Junior Campaigner, you will be at the heart of the organisations advocacy and campaigns work. You will work to help identify, design and run high impact campaigns at a national, provincial and local level, and across social and economic issues.
The Junior Campaigner will report to their assigned line manager, working alongside a small team to build people power.
The Junior Campaigner role requires exceptional skills in analysis, organising, writing and communication. The right person will know what are the issues South Africa’s Black majority care about, and how to mobilise people in huge numbers at key moments where people power can help achieve justice.
Junior Campaigner Responsibilities:
1) Campaign identification and strategy etc;
You will be required to monitor news and events across the country and identify possible campaign opportunities that align with the organisation’s values, our strategy, and provide a moment where we could ‘win’ on an issue that affects our members.
You’ll need to rapidly identify the decision maker (government, corporate, media or other) who has it within their power to make a decision in response to public pressure from amandla.mobi members, that could deliver real change to the lives of poor and working class Black women.
A core part of your role will be to mobilise instantly in response to breaking news and launch rapid response campaigns which may be at night and/or over weekends.
Campaigns must speak to the following campaign selection criteria if they are to be approved by your line manager. It is expected that the campaign pitch is properly constructed and is 90% thought through, has at least some references, and is ready to be approved and moved to campaign design.
Campaign selection criteria include:
- The issue affects Black women from low-income backgrounds (core constituency), or Black people more broadly, women more broadly, and members of the LGBTQI community or refugees and migrant groups (secondary constituency), and is also balanced by our focus on progressive social justice issues and is an issue this constituency is talking about and engaged with (Their line manager may at their discretion approve campaigns that are not well known among the core constituency and/or secondary constituency if there is a clear communications plan that will help rapidly build awareness and prime action.
- There is a crisitunity in that there is significant media, social media and organic discussions occurring about an event or moment that relates to the campaign issue, and in this crisis there is a clear opportunity to push for a compelling action by the decision maker and said decision maker has an opportunity to implement the campaign ask.
- Decision maker: Ensure you have identified the right decision maker, and determined if they may be supportive and that the campaign actions will get their attention. If a decision maker is unsupportive the campaign must identify secondary decision makers and have tactics that could effectively result in the campaign winning.
- A winnable and impactful campaign ask must include very clear demands, but the policy, process, budget or legislative ask must be realistic and also not token in that, if implemented, it would not create any real change. The campaign pitch must include some research into any experts recommendations that are values aligned as well as an understanding of any procedures the decision-maker must undertake to implement the campaign ask. The campaign must therefore take these processes into consideration. The Junior Campaigner must make a clear case that the campaign ask, if presented to amandla.mobi members and constituents, is well thought through and is compelling in that members believe the ask is winnable and impactful.
- Compelling call to action: The campaign must explain clearly and simply how one of our members or constituents joining the campaign and taking an action at that moment (signing a petition, recruiting others, sending a public submission, delivering petition in person, getting media coverage, meeting with the decision-maker, attending an event/protest or donating to a crowdfunded tactic etc.) will plausibly result in creating the public pressure necessary for the decision-maker to accept the campaign demand.
- The campaign will lead to membership growth and/or allow us to build a values-aligned partnership with other organisations, community groups, individuals and movements. If a values-aligned individual or organisation is already doing something on this issue the pitch must demonstrate how the campaign will partner with the said individuals or organisations.
2) Campaign Design, writing incredible campaigns communication content and setting up campaign pages/ USSD etc
You’ll need to wield exceptional time management and organisation skills to bring campaigns to life. This includes writing, editing and finalising campaign communications content that is short, sharp, conversational, personal, references credible sources and powerful enough to inspire action by our members.
Create multilingual content which will involve working with all amandla.mobi staff and volunteers to write and translate content into English, isiZulu, Setswana, isiXhosa, and where relevant any of South Africa’s other official languages.
Develop campaign messaging that ties amandla.mobi’s different campaigns together.
Rapidly engage relevant experts on the campaign issue and work with existing or potential partner organisations or allies who can help the campaign achieve its objective. This also involves being able to maintain professional, assertive but polite communication with other parties – but stick to amandla.mobi’s mission. This will also require managing expectations and maintaining clear communication with campaign partners and allies
Devise and coordinate high impact tactics such as media stunts, rallies and other actions. This involves managing logistics, media engagement and using your resources wisely.
Work to ensure the campaign is a success where 1000’s join the campaign and the public pressure is felt by the decision maker, either through receiving signatures, campaign media coverage, rallies, paid adverts funded by donations from amandla.mobi members, or other public pressure from amandla.mobi members.
The Junior Campaigner must complete the following campaign design and execution tasks;
- Conduct Power Mapping for the campaign in order to identify allies, barriers and the most effective means of engaging and influencing the decision maker.
- The campaign should reach out to possible values aligned allies. It is important that all external communication with prospective and actual partners, individuals and decision makers CCes in the line manager and that any communication via phone or in person is accompanied by a follow up email CCing the line manager and must result in confirmation from the external party of what was agreed over the phone or in person.
- Any external meetings, events, conferences etc with individuals, partners or decision makers must be pre-approved by the ED. The Junior Campaigner must motivate for approval in terms of how the time spent with an external party will add to the campaign or Amandla.mobi’s work more generally. If the Junior Campaigner is asked to attend an event, but cannot attend due to leave, notice must be given in advance.
- The campaign must have a clearly thought through tactics around the actions the campaign wishes for Amandla members and constituents to take.
- The campaign must have simple and compelling messaging which provides Amandla members and constituents with enough information to inspire action and support of the campaign.
- The Junior Campaigner must draft campaign communications for the campaign including a campaign page (title, body, ask, image etc), campaign seed email, kick and campaign updates, social media content, share page and other action pages, which are of an exceptional quality. No other staff member should have to micro-manage the Junior Campaigner in completing content or campaign pages.
- The Junior Campaigner must set up google alerts and monitor information surrounding the campaign closely and be responsive in proposing updates to the line manager. It should not be that the ED, Campaigns Manager, Operations Coordinator or any other individual should need to notify the Junior Campaigner of possible next steps for the campaign. The Junior Campaigner must be keeping up to date on the campaign.
- The Junior Campaigner must actively work to improve the quality of the campaign, this includes identifying opportunities for Campaign updates, different tactics (direct messages, an event etc), opportunities to pivot, opportunities for community based wildfire campaigns, and any other tactics that improve the number of actions and the re-engagement of campaign supporters with the campaign, which collectively build further public pressure and increase the chances of a campaign victory.
Once a campaign is approved the campaign starter must receive an email or phone call from the Junior Campaigner or line manager (this task should be divided by the Junior Campaigner and other team members and agreed upon in writing) where the Junior Campaigner provides support on how to help improve the quality of the Campaign and make it a success. This includes, but is not limited to, improving the campaign title, providing an image, improving the copy, ask, decision maker, improving default social media. Like an amandla.mobi campaign pitch, if an awethu.mobi campaign meets the majority of our campaign criteria they Junior Campaigner should work with the Campaign starter to set up additional actions and improve the campaign communications to make the campaign a success, including setting up notifications to the decision maker, identifying possible allies etc. Once a campaign has passed the 100 signature mark and is approved by the ED, the Junior Campaigner should draft campaign communications for a campaign seed to a strategic segment of the Amandla.mobi membership.
The Junior Campaigner should keep in regular contact with awethu.mobi campaign starters and set up google alerts and fulfil other activities to maximise the success of the campaign in meeting the above mentioned campaign success indicators
3) Complete other campaign related tasks as needed.
There may be other campaign related tasks that are unique to a specific campaign, for example, these others tasks could include such collating comments from members via Whatsapp, attending and presenting at a Parliament public hearing, preparing for and representing amandla.mobi at a meeting or a media interview, assisting in more detailed translation of a section of our work.
Remuneration and benefits
Salary for this position is R14,000 per month. amandla.mobi currently does not offer any staff medical aid, pension, life assurance or any other benefits.