Government and taxi associations must commit to the National Safe Taxis Charter, and work with us to implement policies and processes that immediately create safer taxis for women. 2017 is the year the women of Mzansi come together and make taxis safer. Join us.
Soul City and other women centred organisations have been working together on a Safe Taxis Charter. By adding your name to this campaign, we can build the public pressure necessary to force government and taxi associations to take real action. You can also contribute to the Safe Taxi Charter after signing the campaign.
Based on public submissions, below is the first draft of the Safe Taxis Now Charter:
- Taxi ranks will be well lit.
- Taxis will be gun-free zones.
- Taxi drivers will clearly display identification.
- Taxi drivers will be subjected to police clearance to rule out rape or sexual assault convictions.
- Taxis will be branded according to their taxi association.
- Taxi ranks that are known hotspots for rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment will have increased police presence.
- Every province will have an SOS call centres for taxi commuters.
- Taxis will clearly display the SOS call centre number to report any violations of the Charter.