The Campaigner Fellowship has been designed to give you practical experience through hands on training and coaching in order to run at least 3 real world campaigns during the course of the Fellowship. The Campaigner Fellowship programme involves:
- Receiving best practice training from amandla .mobi staff, partners and external experts.
- Working with and learning from other Campaigner Fellows over the 4 months of the Programme.
- Receiving some one-on-one coaching from amandla.mobi staff.
- You will be trained in how to do power mapping, where you analyse the nature of power between decision makers in government and the private sector, and Black women and gender non-conforming people from low-income backgrounds. You will use this power analysis to design campaigns to build people power and win victories for justice.
- You will identify campaign opportunities by monitoring national and local news, social media and looking at information from amandla.mobi members and partners for potential campaigns. Campaigns must address issues that directly or indirectly affect Black women and gender non-conforming people from low-income backgrounds.
- You will apply your training and coaching by pitching campaign ideas to the amandla.mobi team. If your campaign idea has a good analysis of power, and provides amandla.mobi members with an opportunity to take collective action to ensure a decision maker implements the campaigns demand, your campaign may be approved and you can begin implementing your campaign.
- During the design phase of your campaign, you spend time researching the decision maker who has the power to address the issue, and determine a realistic but impactful ‘ask’ of the decision maker to change their policy, practice or budget in a way that will have a real impact on Black women and gender non-conforming people from low-income backgrounds. As part of your campaign design you will identify what collective actions could be taken by amandla.mobi members, and ensure members understand why there is an opportunity to take action at this specific moment, to create change.
- Next you will start writing campaign copy (text) for the amandla.mobi site, SMS, USSD and social media, and work with others to translate this text into multiple languages before it is broadcast to amandla.mobi database of members, letting them know why the campaign is important, and what actions they can take. You will receive training and coaching in campaign communications, as well as how to use amandla.mobi’s tech tools.
- As part of running your campaign, you will use different actions and tactics to build public pressure on the decision makers to agree to the campaign demands. The starting point of most campaigns is for people to sign a petition; other tactics include recruiting others, making a public submission, crowdfunding for a campaign tactic such as an advert, gaining media attention, or organising events such as protests, meeting with decision makers etc.
- As campaigns you run progress and amandla .mobi members take different actions, you will be in charge of delivering signatures to the decision maker and monitoring whether the decision maker agrees to the campaign demands or not. If the decision maker ignores the campaign or refuses to implement the demands, it will be your job to identify new strategies to win the campaign. As the campaign unfolds you will write and send campaign updates to amandla.mobi members to keep them engaged.
- At the end of each campaign, you will do an evaluation of what worked and what didn’t work with the campaign, and share your learnings with other Campaigner Fellows.
- As part of the Fellowship you may be involved with different campaign tactics, such as going out in groups of two and speaking to people face to face about campaigns and collecting signatures, organising communities, planning and running protests and meeting with decision makers.
- While you will spend a lot of time working on your own campaign, as a Campaigner Fellow you will also work with amandla.mobi staff on existing amandla.mobi campaigns to gain more experience as a campaigner.
In addition to the above training, coaching and hands-on work experience, you will also receive training in the following areas:
- Training in how to use different tech platforms. This technical training involves following instructions carefully and learning some basic HTML coding.
- Design and content creation skills. This will involve basic design skills, effective communication strategies and how to use social media as a tool.
- Media training and engagement. This training will help prepare you for media interviews (TV, radio and print) as well as writing press releases and opinion pieces.
- Briefings on different issues and policies amandla.mobi is campaigning on.